Monday, 15 September 2014

Tuesday Recipe - Beef olives with sauteed cabbage and mashed potato



Beef Olives

As always, when it comes to the weekend, I'm searching for something different to serve up. I also subscribe to the BBC History magazine and they publish an old recipe each month and it was beef olives. After a little extra research I produced the recipe you will find on the TAB at the top of this page.

The production of the meal was something of a maximum pan usage fest entailing copious washing up which, for someone who likes one pan cooking, was a bit of a pain. I also had to destroy the meat by beating it with a rolling pin until the meat was no more than a centimetre thick, then placed stuffing in the middle and tied the whole issue into rolls with string. You've guessed it - I'm all fat fingers and thumbs and so that was not great to watch but I managed. 
I served the beef olives with the cabbage even though I'm not a great fan of that vegetable because the skill of sauteeing was introduced. The end result was excellent and although the recipe calls for carrots and onions I had a second go using bacon instead which worked well.

The cooking time on different versions that I read was interesting as it ranged from 1.5 to 3 hours at 175 degrees. It probably depends on the cut of beef you select. the coarser the longer it will take to cook. The stuffing you could probably vary according to personal taste but the end result was really good.

Sauteed Cabbage
Dice a carrot and a small onion until the chunks are quite small and fry in olive oil, salt and black pepper. When they've softened (about 6 or 7 minutes) pour in a decent glug of white wine and boil for a couple of minutes to evaporate the alcohol then pour in half a pint of chicken or vegetable stock, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

The above makes cabbage edible!!!!

God Bless