Thursday, 16 October 2014

Writing - The London Beer Flood



The news was full of information regarding the banning of smoking in parks yesterday. I mention this because if you search for #Cessation on Twitter you don't come up with my book of that title but with anti-smoking campaigns! 



That'll teach me to be more careful with my titles!

However, it struck me that the 'nanny state' were at it again and then my mind turned to how long it would be before beer was attacked and we were back to the UK version of the USA prohibition era. The coincidence that I discovered this morning was the London Beer Flood of October 17th 1814! Never heard of it? No nor had I so some info for you.

The London Beer Flood happened in the parish of St Giles LondonEngland. At the Meux and Company Brewery on Tottenham Court Road, a huge vat containing over 135,000 imperial gallons (610,000 L) of beer ruptured, causing other vats in the same building to succumb in a domino effect. As a result, more than 323,000 imperial gallons (1,470,000 L) of beer burst out and gushed into the streets. The wave of beer destroyed two homes and crumbled the wall of the Tavistock Arms Pub, trapping teenage employee Eleanor Cooper under the rubble. Within minutes neighbouring George Street and New Street were swamped with alcohol, killing a mother and daughter who were taking tea, and surging through a room of people gathered for a wake.



Cessation by the way is more of a dystopian journey exploring the power situation in this country which is not that far away from reality.

Such manipulations of power on a governmental or local level can provide background, setting or reasons for actions. I like to store them away for possible future use.
God Bless