Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Writing - Making a statement with words and music



I dabble in music but I'm not an instrument player and have never attempted to write a song but I am an avid listener to the words set to music. I have often lauded the skills of the likes of Leonard Cohen for instance but today I was taken by the words of Bob Dylan which seemed particularly relevant in today's tumultuous world.


The song I was listening to was 'Masters of War' and the link is below:-



I'm not selecting the whole song but the verses that I feel particularly apt for 2014.

Come you masters of war
You that build the big guns
You that build the death planes
You that build all the bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks


You fasten all the triggers
For the others to fire
And then you sit back and watch
When the death count gets higher
And you hide in your mansion
All the young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud

Well let me ask you one question
Is your money that good?
Oh will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could?
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul



There are some things that never change which was my first thought as I listened

Good Bless