Thursday, 9 October 2014

Writing - Rules for writing and life



When I was loading yesterday's blog to StumbleUpon I was presented with another page purporting to have all the rules necessary for writing a novel. I reckon you could collect enough examples of such pages to create a whole book of advice.


Sources of inspiration are interesting. This blog is a result of listening to a Leonard Cohen CD whilst driving yesterday and Bob Dylan the day before. The singers had their own way of regarding the world. It took me back in time to my time at college training to be a teacher. During the down time, weekends and the early hours of the morning many students spent time chewing over the world, the meaning of life (42), and other such minor matters. It was a privilege to have the time for such self-indulgences and great fun to explore terms such as anarchy and revolution. 
Obviously, when training was over, I took my expected place in society and 'toed the party line' right up until retirement. Once again I have the time to indulge myself in thoughts of freedom, fairness and creativity. 


So seeing writers produce 'rules' seems such a waste when they have seen nirvana, a state of enlightenment in which they can set aside the cares and worries of the world and enjoy the freedom of their minds.


Dylan's music speaks of revolution whereas Cohen is almost anarchical in his presentation of ideas. Wednesday I featured some of the lyrics of Bob Dylan but try these Cohen words from a song called 'One of us cannot be wrong'

An Eskimo showed me a movie he'd recently taken of you 
The poor man could hardly stop shivering, his lips and his fingers were blue
I suppose that he froze when the wind took your clothes 
And I guess he just never got warm, but you stand there so nice in your blizzard of ice 
Oh please let me come into the storm

http://youtu.be/iels3GLw-zs - the whole song.

The above is the final verse and speaks to me of a man desiring the unobtainable woman but what an amazing metaphor Cohen uses to present that concept.

So why have writing rules and people who feel that they know them all and are compelled to share them with the rest of us mortals? Be brave and just write then when fire of the the creative urge has died, think about presentation and order but respect your first thoughts.

God Bless