Thursday, 1 January 2015

Writing - New Year Resolution opportunities



I can hear the collective groan as you see the first 3 words of this title of my blog. The three words can create stress, feelings of guilt and a sense of failure, within three months of seeing them.


There is one basic issue at the bottom of all the gut churning, mind twisting, angst producing ire that are RESOLUTIONS and it is simply - CHANGE.

When you talk to people about resolutions what the discussion is about is changing human behaviour. Now I'm not pretending to have discovered something new, its really obvious the inner conflict comes from changing internal patterns of behaviour. Am I over thinking a simple part of human activity? Think about it! In the western world many English speaking people, that's billions, try and consider changing some aspect of their lives. If they don't at least the habit of making resolutions is refreshed in their heads every 31st of December and 1st January. 


So why are we so worried about change? Insecurity is the probable answer. Until the new pattern of behaviour is firmly embedded the feeling of insecurity is the catalyst that may engineer a return to former 'safe' patterns of behaviour and that is when resolutions fail.

Of course, the need for change can come at any time of year and all kinds of excuses are made to keep us from having to embrace change. 'I'm too old to change' is a common reason as is 'I just can't change' but in fact change comes with small steps. I hate to use management training speak but making S.M.A.R.T. targets can make change possible and painless.

SMART - Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time limited.

In everyday speak - take change a little at a time. Also congratulate yourself when you achieve a target that you've set yourself. 

So have I made any resolutions? - No!
Do I think I'm perfect? - No!
Am I avoiding unnecessary stress? - Yes!
Do I monitor my behaviours? - Yes!

My aims for 2015 is to maintain a reasonably healthy life style, to love my family and to keep writing.
Best of luck with your new year.

God Bless