Monday, 30 March 2015

Tuesday Recipe - Cholent




A friend of mine threw a word at me as I was leaving the club last week - 'Cholent' was what he gave me.

Cholent

Now the first thing I needed to do was to find out what he meant by 'Cholent' - here goes.

Cholent or Hamin is a traditional Jewish stew which is usually simmered overnight for 12 hours or more, and eaten for lunch on the Shabbat. Cholent was developed over the centuries to conform to Jewish law that forbids cooking on the Sabbath.

I also discovered that there are as many recipes for Cholent as there are Jewish homes in Israel. The first recipe I found had butter beans and pearl barley included, two ingredients that I'm not terribly keen on so I kept looking and came up with the recipe which you will find in full on the TAB at the top of this page. Instead of butter beans, baked beans and also included was sweet potato. I think it is the kiddies version!
As I am not a follower of Judaism there wasn't the need to simmer overnight but I did cook it for around seven hours in a low oven and the meat came out as tender as chicken.

Today's Health Watch

Image result for obese children uk

Apparently, a significant number of parents don't see that their children are obese. I can hear the term 'puppy fat' echoing around the homes of some families in the UK!

God Bless