Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Writing - Procrastination rules ok



I reckon I could seriously reduce the time it takes me to write a full length story. Currently it takes around 6 months and I produce around 60 - 70k words. I write probably 2000 to 3000 words a week when I'm really trying!!! So what happened?

Image result for procrastination

I'm not extolling the virtues of procrastination but rather lamenting the waste of time. It's not just my bad - to use a modern idiom.

Really what I'm writing about is how I organise my writing process. As experience increases, my process has developed and I think I'm better able to describe how I write. Within that process is a considerable amount of thinking time which helps me avoid writers' block. I do believe that established characters lead the story but there is always a point when he/she needs a push in a suitable direction. One philosophy I adhere to is that if you are a writer, self-published or otherwise, then you should write something everyday. I believe that part of the reason for this is that writing is a physical and a mental process that you must stay fit to continue doing. 
So given the above I hate time wasting. Okay, there are times when I'll even dust the house before settling down to write but I always try and write something towards my longer works every week day. I find that if I'm mentally prepared to write then I write more quickly. 

Image result for time wasting

Time wasting is actually quite serious and expensive for the economy of countries. Here are some examples,

Image result for car crash
A car crash

So two cars collide at a junction and the police arrive. The drivers are not disputing who is to blame but because the police have arrived they start measuring, interviewing and recording information. It's a costly waste of time!

Image result for pointless research
Pointless research

Have you ever stopped to listen to the results of research that are often broadcast in the daily news? I was watching an antiques programme today and a girl was describing her PhD studies which were on the feminist views in Victorian novels. I'm not against feminism or equality in fact I'm very much in favour of humans being treated fairly irrespective of sex, colour or creed. However, I'm against universities supporting studies that have little value and yet are taking the students money and saddling them with huge debts carried on in to their working life. Other research includes titles such as 'ducks can be necrophiliac homosexuals'; 'suicide rates are linked to the amount of country music played; and, 'Chinstrap penguins can shoot poo up to 40cm'.

The point is that time consuming activities can have detrimental affects if not managed appropriately. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to stifle creative thinking and objective research but there just seems to be a lack of pre-thought when planning such topics.

For a change I leave you with a biblical quote,

 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

I would add another verse, a time to write and a time to procrastinate.

Image result for time

God Bless