Tuesday, 17 March 2015

Writing - St Patrick's Day and more




Happy St Patrick's Day to all those from Ireland or of Irish ancestry and anyone else who celebrates because of the love of Guiness.

Image result for guinness

Guinness is an Irish dry stout that originated in the brewery of 

Arthur Guinness at St. James's Gate, Dublin. Guinness is one of 

the most successful beer brands worldwide. It is brewed in almost 

60 countries and is available in over 120.


St Patrick

Facts about the life of St Patrick come from his own autobiographies. He was the son of a Roman couple living in the UK who, as a 14 year old, was then captured and taken to Ireland where he spent six years herding sheep. Eventually he escaped but returned to Ireland and began to teach the Pagans about Christianity.

The story is longer and I invite you to research more if you are interested. It does illustrate the importance of writing and makes me wonder where we would be if we hadn't written down what our lives were like in history. It is something that keeps me thinking about an autobiography. Well if a 25 year old footballer can have one written surely I can do my own.

I read a really good blog yesterday by Caleb Pirtle, one of the co-founders of Venture Galleries, which was entitled 'Why are writers so paranoid?' (Click on the link for the full article).

Image result for caleb pirtle iii
Caleb Pirtle III

To paraphrase - the article was about the gut churning feeling that I get when people ask me about my writing. The whole time I'm waiting for the veiled criticism, or the mocking, derisive dismissal of my work. When supporters suggest things like writing circles, reviews I can thing of dozens of reasons for not being involved, the concept is gut wrenchingly terrifying to me. Part of that is because of the psychological problems I have with self-esteem and depression but I feel that if I didn't have those issues I would still be reluctant to share.
The article sums up with some real confidence boosting words that I will repeat.

Writers are blessed with ideas.
Writers have stories.
Writers have taken the time to put those stories on the pages of a book or the screen of a Kindle.
They wrote.
They published.
They stuck it out.
They have a gift.
Whether a writer has one book or dozens they have the desire to do better, to write better and to tell better stories.

God Bless