Friday, 17 April 2015

Writing - Time to think.




Have you ever been in a situation when you haven't known how to answer a question, or someone has been rude and you couldn't think of an appropriate response? Quite often on reflection you know what you should have said. I call that being verbally challenged.

Image result for verbally challenged
Sooty 

Sooty was verbally challenged in that he couldn't speak at all, but he gave non-verbal clues. When we write the usefulness of non-verbal clues is limited as they have to be described in words! In a sense this reduction of options could be partly responsible for writer's block but in another it could provide an answer to the problem. If we are at a loss for words we use sounds, physical movement and deflecting talk to give ourselves thinking time, that option is available when we write. 

Image result for writers block

If you are stuck with your story, recap, reassess the situation, have your characters stop and 'think through a scenario' even give your lead 'time out'. It is important to remember that you can have your plots do anything you want them to do, change direction, take a step backwards or allow the lead characters to lead you where they need to go.

Image result for old age

As you get older I believe you stay less stressed and have a greater range of resources upon which to draw in all aspects of life and so it is with writing. I was discussing where I go with my next book last evening. I've written 8 Steele novels and one SF/dystopian story and I'm considering whether to write another Steele story or to consider a very different genre. It was in  my mind to try my hand at an historical novel based in the 13th century but my friend suggested a novel based on my own home area. There are options which feels good because I have no wish to stop writing.

I leave you with something to amuse which is age related.

Image result for Coles' store

Subject: Pensioner's reply re Cole s

Didn't like shopping there anyway.
Yesterday I  was at my local Coles store buying a large bag  of Chum dog food  for my loyal pet.
I was in the checkout queue  when a woman behind me  asked if I had a dog..
What did she  think I had, an  elephant?  So, since I'm retired and have 
little to do, on  impulse I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, I  was
starting the  Chum Diet again.  I added that I probably  shouldn’t,
because I  ended up in hospital last time, but I'd lost 2  stone before I woke up  in intensive care with tubes coming out of  most of my orifices and IVs  in both arms.
 I told her  that it was essentially a perfect  diet and that the way that it works is to load your pockets with  Chum nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel  hungry.  The food is  nutritionally complete so it works well and  I was going to try it  again.  (I have to mention here that  practically everyone in  queue was now enthralled with my  story.)
Horrified, she asked me if I  ended up in intensive  care because the dog food poisoned me.  I  told her no, I stepped  off the kerb to sniff an Irish Setter's arse  and a car hit  me.
 
I thought the guy behind her was going to  have a heart  attack he was laughing so hard.  I'm now banned  from  Coles.  Better watch what you ask retired people.   They  have all the time in the world to think of daft things to   say.


God Bless