Monday, 29 June 2015

Tuesday Food Blog - Cheesy garlic bolognese pie




It seems that I'm always out at the moment and last weekend was no exception. A brilliant weekend celebrating a mate being ordained priest, a barbecue and communion celebrated in a different church with the new priest. All of that made inroads into the amount of cooking time that was available. So it had to be something quick and easy.

Cheesy garlic bolognese pie

Of course it had to be Italian, because I find the meat sauce easy to produce, and then a quick topping which is where I became creative.

The full recipe is on the relevant TAB

There are various additions to the standard Italian meat sauce including courgette and mushrooms which go well and I had some small new potatoes left over from a previous meal which were thrown in.
The innovation was the topping which should have been slices of frozen garlic bread with cheese but in the absence of such delicacies I used ordinary part cooked garlic bread which I then baked in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes at 200 degrees C, before placing on top of the dish of meat sauce, sprinkled with cheese and placed under the grill. 

It was all very tasty, but in my opinion a bit of a cheat to call it a pie. Having said that I have experimented with 'pies' on previous occasions and you can create tasty and uncomplicated toppings in a variety of ways. It is not everyone that wants pastry so breadcrumbs, chunks of bread, oats and many other options will do the job and add to the recipe.

As I have become a little more experienced the desire to create something new seems to be burgeoning.

God Bless