Monday, 8 June 2015

Tuesday Food Blog - Mexican Fish Taco





So I saw an article with photos of tacos stuffed with various fillings and thought that I'd have a go!!!

Mexican Fish Tacos

The fact that I put fish in my tacos should be no surprise as it was a Friday when I prepared this meal and I could also eat fish everyday.
The tacos came ready prepared and were frankly a bit 'old' so I will choose more carefully in future.
Tacos are relatively low in calories as a basis for a meal at about 50 calories each. When they are then adorned with spring onions, cucumber and salsa the calorie count barely moves, so it is only the fish that needs consideration, but even that is good for you.
I fried the haddock for around ten minutes in olive oil after first dusting  it with a mixture of coriander, cumin, paprika, garlic and a touch of cayenne pepper.
I made my own salsa after trawling the net for recipes and checking out prepared salsa, it didn't seem that difficult.

Salsa

For three tacos I used, 
2 small tomatoes, de-seeded
a half a regular onion, chopped
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tbsp of lime juice
1 tsp dried coriander
sea salt and ground pepper to taste

I chopped all of these together and divided the mixture between the three tacos and then placed the cooked fish on top, garnishing with cucumber and sliced spring onions.

This is a really tasty dish suitable for summer. Those who prefer meat in their tacos could replace the fish with whatever is preferred. The fish would go with a variety of accompaniments. I tried chilli sauce with the tacos but they go soggy and chewy, in fact the drier and chunkier the better for me.

God Bless