Monday, 1 June 2015

Tuesday Food Blog - A simple fish dish




In my continuing quest for simple and tasty dishes I came across calling itself 'a simple fish dish'

Simple Fish Dish

As is my wont I like to think about what the chef who invented a dish is trying to do. This recipe (on the TAB at the top of this page) comes from a course on the BBC website intended to encourage those lacking confidence in cooking to make a start. It is reasonable then to expect quite a low skill level and straight forward flavours. In creating a meal like this I would expect to create a cheese sauce with herbs but what the recipe demands is that you use a mixture of cream cheese with garlic and herbs, flour and milk; mixed together cold and poured over the fish to then be baked in the oven. 

The topping is home made croutons and cherry tomatoes. So the second skill is to make your own croutons. Now I have tried to make these tasty additions on a couple of previous occasions without a great deal of success. This recipe was to tear chunks of stale bread up and mi them with melted butter, then sprinkle them over the cheesy fish dish add the tomatoes and bake in a very hot oven. They are supposed to be nice and crunchy but as the bread I was using wasn't stale this has to be another crouton attempt with minimal success!


Although it doesn't look bad and the overall meal was very pleasant if a little bland. I believe that the quality of the sauce depends very much on the cream cheese that is used.

Now I wasn't finished cooking for the weekend. I fancied a sausage casserole which is something I've featured previously so haven't included the recipe again. The main ingredients are, sausage, bacon, baked beans and tomatoes which is rather like an English breakfast. In fact I added black pudding and served it with a fried egg and some toast which made it even look like a breakfast.

Breakfast casserole


Of course the casserole contains, onions, garlic, chilli powder and oregano as well as the more typical breakfast foods, but it does make a very tasty main meal.

God Bless