Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Writing - Nature of your heroes




As I write the ninth Steele novel, 'Flight to Nowhere', I remember when I set out on this writing journey thinking that I'd produce 10 Steeles and then end the sojourn. I find myself doubting that decision now and I think it is because I like what he's become.



One of the reasons for doubts to arise came from a 5* review I received shortly after the launch of Grace and Favour. It reminded me of some of the qualities of Patrick A Steele. I highlight some of the character traits Caleb Pirtle, the writer of the review, has emphasised.


Format: Kindle Edition
I have travelled with Patrick Steele through a myriad of David L. Atkinson’s novels, and there are some absolutes. He is tough. He is resilient. He does not mind taking an enemy down because, believe me, his villains are the kind that need taken down.

Steele lives by and the gun and by the fist, but, yet, he is always genteel, polite, and the perfect English gentleman. He loves his food. He loves the lady at his side. And deep inside, he is conflicted about love and his fate in life. He’s good at what he does, but there is a hint of guilt after his actions. He is a man who is asked to do what others would never do, and he does it out of loyalty and the knowledge he can do it.
Grace and Favour is a continuation of the exploits of Patrick Steele. He’s British to the core, which is what I like about him, and this time his mission takes him from England to Canada, and he knows something isn't quite right. An easy wave of paranoia sweeps over him. Back home, disaster strikes, and his judgement is clouded with doubt.

Have friends become the enemy? Can he trust his friends or the girl he loves? Has he become the target? Will this be his last job? Will it end badly? Will it end with Steele lying in a grave somewhere? Who wants him dead and why? And how can he protect himself, track down kidnappers on the loose in two continents, and still find the missing child in time? Failure is not an option. In a David L. Atkinson novel, it never is. Steele is on a wild and breath-taking ride, but no matter how tough and threatening the case may be, I'm betting on him.


Image result for jason statham
Jason Statham

These points have picked out what I have tried to convey to my readers about the man and it seems with a measure of success. When I created him I had in mind an amalgam of James Bond, Liam Neeson in 'Taken' all played out by Jason Statham or Gerard Butler


Image result for gerard butler
Gerard Butler

He has to be tough, he has to be fair and finally, he has to be ruthless.

and now a link to the Amazon sales point,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grace-Favour-Steele-Novels-Book-ebook/dp/B00Z6KWUUM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435510010&sr=1-1&keywords=grace+and+favour 

Thanks for looking.

God Bless