Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Writing - Where do the subjects come from?




So you have decided to write, you want to write stories and you believe that you know which genre you will be contributing to, but where does the subject matter come from?

Image result for 7/7
10 years ago

It is the tenth anniversary of the 7/7 bombings in London and although this horrific collection of incidents was too real and both destroyed and damaged families, behind what happened is a story.

When we decide on the story that we are going to write we have chosen the subject and the sources of inspiration that has come from is within us. It is how we react to things that happen in the real world. Even books like Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's Brave New World were a response to the way the author's were reacting to the world as they saw it at the time.


Image result for mh370
MH370

I am no different from anyone who chooses to communicate their opinions about the world and many of the Steele novels are a response to real life situations. Currently, I have three subjects in my mind, one which I have started to write, one which I have begun to research and the last which is simply an idea. That is enough to keep me writing for another eighteen months.


Image result for building 7 9/11
Building 7

The important thing for me about choosing a subject is that I feel there is enough energy in the subject to produce a full length story. The current one I have had some doubts about but as Patrick Steele takes over the tale it is developing.


Cessation came from a feeling that developed in me over a period of time that we, as customers, were being systematically taken to the cleaners by the energy companies. I researched global warming, predictions of power cuts and the profits made by these companies and out of it came what I believe is one of my best stories. It also has romance, privations, successes and failures; but is essentially a human story. In fact I have had a few comments from readers that the book would make a good TV series - I wish!!!

God Bless