Monday, 10 August 2015

Tuesday Food Blog - Comfort food




Comfort food is an interesting term. Its rather like ones preferred genre for reading or a favoured cushion.

Image result for lasagne al forno
Lasagne al Forno

This is a canned photograph as I forgot to take a pic of my weekends efforts.

Lasagne is a favourite of mine and what I would class as comfort food, along with apple pie and custard, curry, fish, and pie and peas. I must have had a bad week as I had 3 of those items.

The actual meaning is along the lines of a traditional food that provides nostalgic or sentimental feeling to the consumer. I actually believe that it is somewhat more emotional than the definition. Food can be like a favourite song, linked to ones own personal history, or a special moment in life. I have to say that most of mine come from the past excluding the lasagne.

My mother was a very capable pastry cook, hence the apple pie, but for the most part her cooking was quite simple and traditional. No lasagne there! She had a routine that suited the three of us and, apart from the occasional nuance, lasted for many years.

So where did the Italian dish come from? Well it was my first wife's creation and always came out beautifully. I taught myself to make it and have reasonable success since then on most occasions. 

There are few secrets to creating the dish. 400g of minced beef, onion, garlic, oregano, tin of tomatoes, tomato puree, lasagne, milk, butter, cheese and seasoning. Some folk add mushrooms, types of cheese vary according taste, but the basic recipe works for me. My second wife also created a good lasagne using bought pasata rather than creating her own, but it was always good. However, there was occasional issues with the cheese sauce going lumpy. In an effort to produce a decent sauce I warm the milk before pouring it on to the roux and then use an egg whisk to ensure total smoothness.

What is your favourite comfort food?

God Bless