Wednesday, 7 October 2015

Poetry Thursday 181 - Barry the Badger and more #NationalPoetryDay

Here we are again. Another Thursday, another batch of verse reflecting some of the ideas that have invaded my mind.

To begin, even though it is autumn, on warm days confused wasps are wakened and are often crotchety.

Image result for wasp

Wasp

What on earth was He doing,
when He created this being,
for it is of little use
other than human abuse?

There is an innate malevolence,
even an airborne arrogance,
in the way it invades your space,
the bane of the human race.

It scarcely takes time to rest,
flying around, a stinging pest,
buzzing insistently against the windows,
attacking the glass with repeated blows.

But what indeed did God intend,
when creating that unique blend,
of black, yellow and character crossed
insect, that is the common wasp?
© David L Atkinson October 2015

It is often claimed that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, which is quite often just so much rubbish. Sometimes imitation demonstrates a lack of inspiration. However, I saw a poem similar in form to the one below, which I felt was compelling and so I have unashamedly lifted the style and applied my own subject.

Image result for ego

I AM Me

I am who I am.
A person with many sides,
keep that in mind on your inside,
its none of your business – besides,
facets that no one derides.

I am who I am.
I am he who can hide,
who walks with purposeful stride,
throughout life in others not to confide,
problems behind the walls are denied.

I am who I am.
I am he who allows things slide,
whose bon homie can’t be denied,
seemingly normal to all outside,
who is forgot till ennui subsides.

I am who I am.
I am he who in honesty prides,
who as a surfer, waves of upset rides,
who is pushed and pulled on stormy tides,
whose life on parallel rails rides.

I am who I am.
I am he who for recognition tried,
who may have to let that wish subside,
but who with every effort cried,
and enjoyed the nuggets from inside.
© David L Atkinson October 2015


Finally, I have been thinking about writing something for my grandson and have come up with the character Barry the Badger and below is his first appearance.

Image result for cartoon badger


Barry the Badger

He’s not really ‘ard but tries,
his heart is soft and kind his eyes.
The gait of travel he employs
brings a happy, shuffling noise.

In the woods he is the enforcer,
animal colleagues love his power.
None should fear the nasty bully,
all they need is to call on Barry.
© David L Atkinson October 2015


God Bless