Monday, 25 January 2016

Tuesday Food Blog - Nothing to do with Burns - much!

I know that I'm writing this on 25th January, Burns Night, but I have not produced my own haggis or a version of neeps and tatties.

Meat loaf

No great secrets this week just a fairly standard meatloaf. It is only the second time that I have cooked a meatloaf and it isn't difficult. I did change the recipe somewhat due to a lack of availability of lamb mince. I did carry out some research into a variety of recipes for this dish and having thought about it one of the key factors must be the liquid content after baking. Too wet and it will be like soup, too dry and it will resemble a brick! There isn't a great deal of liquid in the recipe, about 5fl/oz of milk and an egg, and on top of that just whatever fat is in the meat. Even so when it came to removing the loaf tin from the oven the meatloaf was surrounded in fat which I poured away.

I served the meat loaf with green vegetables and mashed potato. It could equally well be served with beans and chips; eaten cold with a salad; or, sliced thinly as a sandwich filler.

The full recipe is on the relevant TAB.

Robert Burns (January 25th 1759 - July 21st 1796)


Image result for robert burns

It quite often seems that the poem that is quoted annually on this day is the one that begins,

'Wee, sleekit, cowrin', tim'rous beastie, ... '

when in fact Burns wrote love poetry also and I quote,

O my Luve's like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June; 
O my Luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I:
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry:

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun:
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee well, my only Luve
And fare thee well, a while! 
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' it were ten thousand mile. 

 A rather poignant poem considering that Burns died at the tender age of 37.

God Bless