Monday, 4 January 2016

Tuesday Food Blog - Pork chops in rich gravy + health cons


Well all the rich food has gone, well almost all, no more curried turkey thank goodness and so my first food offering of 2016 is a simple pork chop.



 
Pork chop with rich gravy

In the interests of the waistline the chop was grilled about 7 or 8 minutes each side, with seasoning. Really the elements of this meal that give a little more flavour were the potatoes and the gravy. 

First of all, the roast potatoes were done in the oven after being smothered with paprika, garlic and salt and pepper. I dusted the potatoes before adding the olive oil to the roasting tin as the flavours adhere to the spuds more efficiently.

Secondly, the gravy is something of my own creation. I began by frying off some onion, about half a large one, in oil with salt and pepper. The 'secret' ingredient, black pudding, was diced and added to the pan along with 2 teaspoons of gravy browning and half a pint of boiling water. Then simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.
Combine all elements on a plate and eat!!!!

Health Con

We the public are vulnerable. We are at the mercy of the rich corporations, their billionaire owners and the media controlled by the rich minority. It must be remembered that the aforementioned minority are in the world of business for one purpose and one purpose only - to increase their personal wealth. To achieve this heinous aim they will manipulate whatever is needed to suit their own ends. Below is yet another example.



Similarly the sale of tablets to control cholesterol. When I was first judged to have high cholesterol and prescribed statins my reading was 5.1 with the recommended maximum being 5.0. The last time I was tested the reading was 3.9 and I mistakenly thought that I would be taken off the tablets as I was so much below the limit. No such luck! The limit is now 4.0! Defence rests.

What chance have ordinary people got when they are being manipulated so flagrantly by the pharmaceutical industry?
Every time I come across information as above I remember the sage words of my father who warned me not to believe everything you here or see in the news. I would change one word - everything - to 'anything'.


God Bless