Monday, 11 January 2016

Tuesday Food Blog - Prawn and black pudding pilaf

What a mixture this week. To begin with is prawn and black pudding pilaf, then home-made steak and kidney pie, and finally the fact that black pudding has been identified as a superfood!

Prawn and black pudding pilaf

I am very pleased that black pudding has been identified by genuine scientists as a superfood, which I heard on Friday and, as I eat fish on a Friday, I found the pilaf recipe.
As a reminder pilaf is rice cooked in stock rather than boiled in water, which adds flavour and sometimes colour to the rice. The black pudding goes well with the rice and fish.

The full recipe is on the relevant TAB.

Image result for black pudding

Black pudding as a superfood. As a long term black pudding fan I am thrilled that its benefits have finally been recognised. 'Superfood' is a term usually reserved for mouth-puckeringly acidic berries discovered under a rock in the Amazon jungle, rather than something fried and eaten with egg, beans, bacon and sausage.

So what are its characteristics?

It is high in protein, iron and relatively low in fat, depending on the variety you choose, half that of an accompanying Cumberland sausage.

Image result for black pudding

It tastes rich and velvety, with a flavour deeply savoury and faintly sweet. It isn't just for breakfast. I frequently use it in casseroles to enrich the gravy and have a recipe that uses it in a salad with potato and apple.
So don't dismiss this newly identified superfood.

Steak and Kidney Pie

Steak and kidney pie

At the weekend I made the above pie in the easiest way. I used an onion, black pudding, beef stock, steak and kidney which I boiled up and allowed to simmer for an hour and a half. I bought ready made pastry and put a lid on the casserole dish and baked it in the oven for 30 minutes.
Served with mash, cauliflower and broccoli.


Image result for david bowie
David Bowie (1947 - 2016)

Finally, even though this is a food blog, the passing of music icon David Bowie cannot be ignored. I grew up with his career without being a great fan, but frequently drawn back to listen to him by hit after hit. 
His whole persona speaks to me of someone who didn't just think outside the box but lived on the outside. I believe he wasn't just a music artist but the personification of what it is to be artistic.
Rest in Peace David.

God Bless