Monday, 8 February 2016

Tuesday Food Blog - Mexican Tortilla Bake

I was rooting through my cupboards for something last week when I rediscovered a little used Pyrex pie dish, then I was looking at the BBC website when a photo of Mary Berry's recipe caught my attention. Hey presto! This week's recipe.

Mexican Tortilla Bake

This all-in-one dish is so quick to make. Think Mexican lasagne using ready-made tortillas instead of sheets of pasta. Utterly delicious and very moreish!
For this recipe you will need a 1.5 litre/2½ pint wide-based (preferably round), shallow ovenproof dish.
 

It is very straight forward but I simplified it even further by omitting the oven baking of the meat sauce. You will see what I am referring to in the full recipe on the relevant TAB. I cooked this very much as you would the meat sauce in a traditional lasagne.

On the plate

Unlike my usual dishes I did stay very close to the recipe apart from garnishing with fresh coriander which I didn't have, I used dried in the recipe. I did use the three cheeses that Mary recommended and I also employed the tip of spreading the mascarpone on the tortilla on a flat chopping board before sprinkling the rest of the cheeses on top.

I totally concur with the comment that this is moreish, and it would go well with salad. One of the tastiest meals I've made of late.

God Bless