Monday, 11 April 2016

Tuesday Food Blog - Shepherd's Pie with a cauliflower mash topping

I had a longing for some comfort food this weekend and decided upon Shepherd's Pie but to make it somewhat more veggie acceptable I thought that I'd make a cauliflower mash topping. The recipe is further down this page and is from Antony Worrall Thompson.

Shepherd's Pie and peas

The meal was very tasty and had five vegetables and lamb mince. Very much the standard meat sauce but there was an added extra ingredient that I included. I have never been one for buying extras for the sake of it as you quite often with a half full container of the item that sails by its use by date and is thrown away. However, while food shopping last week I saw a pack of Greek anchovies at a very low price so, as I was having pizza that day, thought I would have a pack and add to the pizza topping. In the meantime I saw an advert suggesting adding a couple of anchovies to the meat sauce in a shepherd's pie enhanced the flavours. So I saved a couple and duly added them. They were the secret extra ingredient. 
My verdict on adding the little fish - why? It certainly didn't detract from the meal but added very little!


Cauliflower mash

If you believe that using cauliflower mash is an aid to losing weight but having a favourite comfort meal, read the recipe below! I did use low calorie creme fraiche instead of double cream but with all of that cheddar cheese it isn't going to be non-fattening. In fact it is rather like topping the meat sauce with a cauliflower cheese, so delicious but not slimming.

Ingredients

  • 25g/1oz butter
  • ½ onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 100g/3½oz mature cheddar, grated
  • 75ml/2½fl oz double cream (creme fraiche)
  • salt and freshly ground white pepper
  • pinch nutmeg

Method

  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and sweat for 1-2 minutes until softened.
  2. Add the cauliflower and enough water to just cover the ingredients. Stir to combine, bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
  3. Drain through a colander and place the cauliflower mixture in a food processor.
  4. Add the cheese and cream and blend until you have a thick puree.
  5. Season with salt, freshly ground white pepper and pinch of nutmeg.

God Bless