Thursday, 14 April 2016

Writing - Wordsmiths and the like.

I have never described myself as a wordsmith or an author, occasionally I'll admit to writer and poet, but then I pull up short against those who either ignore my work or belittle me as a result of some minor error - which is only in there to highlight my humanity. 
Enter author Kurt Vonnegut a life saver. The first sentence of the quote below the picture says it all.

Image result for kurt vonnegut

    "Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel or a play or a poem is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae or a banana split." ― Kurt Vonnegut
Of course for many years, particularly but not exclusively in the UK, becoming a successful author has had nothing to do with writing ability or literary genius but connections and birth. Add to that existing celebrity providing in built marketability and you have the uphill struggle independent authors all face.

However, the need to be a wordsmith, or whatever you want to describe it as, doesn't care it just insists that we write. Once smitten by the need to write it never lets you go not even for a day. Of course that will trigger in the minds of some killjoys the word quality. It is something that concerns me and when producing my full length novels I do have them proofread by two different people, having edited them myself first. I also check the poetry I produce but not these blogs so much. There is a basic requirement to get the words down and out there.

What the miserable people miss is the message in the order of the words. My writing friend, Christina Carson, has produced a beautiful piece of philosophical work.

Image result for Christina Carson


"We the wordsmiths,
we the lover of language and meanings,
midwives birthing our stories and poems,
sensible enough to know fiction from non-fiction….in our trade,
yet totally bamboozled by our own lives.
Living as if we’d somehow escape
the consequences of made-up names and meanings,
of inventions that exist only in our minds,
while all of Nature chuckles kindly, ... "

To read the rest of the article go to Christina Carson Blogging on the following link,


The bottom line is that all writers who are producing the words because of the drive to do so, are providing an excursion into a different way of looking at the world. If we get paid for producing the words, all well and good, but if we don't it won't slow the production.

God Bless