Monday, 16 May 2016

Tuesday Food Blog - Summer options

If you saw me or my photograph you would understand that I've been a life long 'salad dodger', but in fact this is not always the case and is selective. There are parts of salad that I enjoy greatly and others which I find pointless.

Image result for lettuce
Lettuce

The group of plants that I'm not keen on and tend to be very choosy over are the lettuces and water cress. The latter I find bitter and unpalatable whereas I can find lettuce that is not too bad. An interesting question for science - why do some folk find lettuce sweet and others bitter?
As a result of the unpleasantness I experience when grazing on animal food I tend to make it less healthy by smothering it in salad cream or mayonnaise.

Image result for salad vegetables
The better bits

Now there are parts of salads which I do enjoy, tomatoes for the most part but also spring onions and cucumber. Then there are other items that weren't part of a Mackem salad when I was growing up such as olives, feta cheese and croutons.

Image result for fat cows images

Now some people can sit with a plate of large leaved plant parts and coo with delight, but do you know what, I don't believe them. Some would have us grazing with cows and sheep but there is a warning - have you ever seen a skinny cow or sheep?

My salad


The salad in the photograph has the good stuff  (sic) as well as meat. There are three elements to the salad.

Potato salad

Jersey Royal new potatoes boiled for 15 minutes, or until tender, raw baby leeks and salad cream. Seasoned with sea salt and ground black pepper. It is very easy, exceedingly tasty and will keep in the fridge for two or three days.

Tomato salad

Even easier. Chopped, seasoned and tossed with chopped basil leaves.

Green salad

My green salad is made from Iceberg lettuce (chopped), and chopped spring onions, seasoned with sea salt and black pepper, and tossed with a vinaigrette dressing.
Vinaigrette dressing - 3 tbsp olive oil; 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tsp sugar; a squeeze of lemon juice and black pepper to taste. Mix the ingredients together and pour over the leaves and onions. This will also keep in the fridge in a closed bottle.

Not a totally unhealthy meal!

God Bless