Monday, 20 June 2016

Tuesday Food Blog - Pak Choi, Belly Pork and Boulangere Potatoes

Don't you get fed up with being told what you can and can't eat? My dentist has an opinion, my optician advised me and of course doctors and nurses. I feel like leaping on to the nearest soap box and telling them all to go forth and increase their number.

The optician reckons I should eat dark greens which is like telling me to poke my eyes out with a sharpened stick, but I keep looking around for something that I don't find bitter and unappetising. Well this week I have come very close to success.

pak choi

Chinese cabbage apparently, but it tastes nothing like. There are a couple of types one which forms a head and the second which you see above that grows more like celery. It just looks beautiful.

Before I began cooking it I read up carefully and the recommended method is to steam for three minutes. It does suggest that the leaves and stalks can be cooked separately as the latter take a little longer. I didn't bother and the stalks were done in three minutes and the leaves resembled spinach - BUT NOT AS BITTER!

In fact the whole end result is a green veg that provides you, in a 100g, with 89% daily requirement of Vitamin A and 75% of Vitamin C plus a lot of other good things. On top of that it tastes mild and complements a number of different dishes.

Cod loin with sauteed potatoes and pak choi

Friday lunch was the above and the fish was well supported by the Chinese vegetable. The main weekend food was belly pork, pak choi and boulangere potatoes as below.

Belly pork, pak choi and boulangere potatoes

The belly pork was roasted with onions, the pak choi cooked as described above and the potatoes were a new departure for me but in fact quite simple and healthier than potatoes cooked with butter  cream and the like.

Boulangere Potatoes

Ingredients
New potatoes sliced long ways
Half an onion finely chopped
Thyme
Pint of chicken stock
Garlic
Seasoning

Method
Butter the inside of an ovenproof dish and preheat the oven to 170 degrees C. My oven is fan assisted and you could probably cook the dish hotter and quicker but I was planning to slow cook the belly pork at the same time.
Layer the potatoes onions, garlic and thyme, repeating until finishing with a layer of potatoes. 
Cover with foil and bake in the oven for an hour until the potatoes are soft then remove the foil, dot with butter and turn the oven up to 200 degrees C and bake for a further 10 - 20 minutes or until the potatoes have browned on the top.

I have refrained from giving quantities and types of ingredients as that would be removing the space there is for creativity. Enjoy.

God Bless