Monday, 22 August 2016

Tuesday Food Blog - Chicken casserole (stew)

It may seem strange but I have never included a chicken dish in my Tuesday post on food. There are reasons. Firstly, I find the meat rather bland and I understand the need to use herbs or spices and other ingredients to make chicken dishes more interesting. Secondly, the almost continual threat of salmonella, according to the authorities. Thirdly, it is quite expensive relative to some other meats.

Image result for chickens


We all have favourites of course and as it was a warm, if wet, weekend, I thought it useful to produce something lighter than usual.

Chicken Casserole (stew)


My apologies for the rather uninspiring photo, it tasted better than it looks!

Ingredients

Olive oil
butter
 5 chicken pieces
6 rashers of streaky bacon, fried and chopped
new potatoes, chopped into bite size pieces
garlic, 2 cloves
green beans, chopped
peas
carrots, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
creme fraiche
bouquet garni
salt and ground pepper

Method
It really couldn't be an easier meal to prepare. Brown the chicken pieces and set aside. Fry the bacon until crispy and set aside. Add a large knob of butter to the frying pan and cook the onion until it begins to clarify. Season with salt, ground black pepper and garlic. Add the beans and carrots to the frying pan and toss with the onions until they are coated with the seasoned oil and butter. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir thoroughly, this will help thicken the sauce.
For my dish I used a large stock pan in which to cook it as my casserole is really not large enough. So my dish was simmered on the hob for 1 - 1.25 hours. You could cook it in a moderated oven for 75 - 90 minutes.
Serve with crusty bread.

This was quite enjoyable for chicken. The flavours in the sauce are up to you and so you could make it into a curry, Italian style or whatever takes your fancy.

God Bless