Thursday, 30 March 2017

Writing - Scenes

When I have my imagination in action increasingly I find that I am thinking of my stories in scenes rather than in a one piece linear progression. As a result I have been able to slow my pace and produce fatter prose.

Image result for fatter prose

By that I mean that there is time to consider more fully the site of action in stories and how that influences the players in that scene. This means that the history of the characters has a relevance to the hear and now of their activities.
As we all know historical events that influenced us in a given situation will effect our emotions when we find ourselves in that same situation once again. Typically, people revisit favourite holiday places expecting the same pleasurable feelings as previously but minor changes can because great disappointment.

Image result for scenes

In For the Best I have the same players as in previous stories with some new significant others, that produces familiarity. However, by creating a scene whereby previously dominating and assertive characters, are put into stressful situations changes behaviours. Those observing the action will then see that person from a different viewpoint and so alter opinions. This allows you, the creator, to guide your character in a different and therefore more exciting way.

I used this ploy at the beginning of my 5th novel Inceptus



Synopsis

In this the 5th Steele novel Patrick tackles the person who has been surreptitiously dogging his footsteps over a number of his adventures. This is not without risk and the focus of his love, Naomi Kobayashi, disappears which seriously affects his ability to function as well as he can. We also find out more about the man himself.
The adventure takes him to Eire, France, the USA before he returns to resolve the issue in the UK.
Will Patrick finally rid himself of a deadly enemy?
Can our hero rescue his love or is it already too late?
Another Patrick Steele adventure filled with tension and action as well as the support provided by the team he has developed over the years.

God Bless