Monday, 10 April 2017

Tuesday Food Blog - Soup

The word soup covers a multitude of dishes. As a young child the hair used to stand up on the back my neck when I asked mam what was for lunch and she answered 'Soup!'

Image result for thick vegetable soup

It wasn't just vegetable but usually had some rough cut of meat that did tenderise after a lengthy cook, but it also contained pearl barley. I am still not keen. But the creation of soup led to my first successful negotiation as a child with parents. Eventually, I was allowed a ham sandwich instead. Nowadays I am happy with soup and have created my own on more than one occasion.

Image result for potato and leek soup
Potato and Leek soup

Ingredients

2 leeks, sliced
8oz new potatoes, cubed
1 onion, chopped
butter
2 pts vegetable stock
salt and pepper

Method

I have a large stock pot that I use for making my soups. Melt the butter and fry off the onions until clear then add the potatoes, leeks and vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for half an hour or longer. 
Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth. Sieve into a clean pan and reheat, serving with a swirl of double cream or creme fraiche.
Serve with crusty bread.

I made this one a couple of weeks ago and added the tops of some sprout plants which produced a darker bowl and a slightly more tangy flavour.

This soup recipe is totally flexible and you could use whichever vegetables or meat that you prefer. A couple of ingredients you will never see in my soups - pearl barley or celery!

God Bless