Tuesday, 9 May 2017

Writing - Musicians like books, mostly

So which is your favourite book? What a question to be asked. I read constantly, usually have a couple on the go at any one time, and I'm 67 years old. My answer would be 'it depends'!

Image result for a christmas carol

Not a subtle clue but it is a story that I return to annually. As for the rest of what I read I tend to love them when I'm reading them. Perhaps I've read too many!
The question arose because BBC Radio 6 has been asking musicians to name their favourite books and the range is fascinating spanning 'I don't read fiction because I can't suspend reality' Noel Gallagher, to a list of 100 from the late David Bowie.
Some of the reasons were interesting.

Image result for laura marling
Laura Marling

Laura Marling names Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters but loves their books for their 'brutality' rather than romanticism. She also says,

"I love the way you can fall in love with a piece of literature; how words alone can get your heart doing that."

Image result for carl barat
Carl Barat

Carl Barat, one of the front men for the Libertines, focussed on one book. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.

The book is described as the story of a "visionary artist struggling against the dull, conformist dogma of his peers."

"It’s about two architects, one who’s obsessed with this dream and one who wants to be an artist," he told NME in 2015, "It’s amazing."


Image result for donald glover
Donald Glover

Donald Glover, aka Childish Gambino, is one of the smartest thinkers in music, and says his favourite books focus on Asperger's syndrome, due to his respect for how the minds of sufferers work.

He names two books on the subject as his literary picks.

"I have an obsession with books about kids with Asperger’s syndrome. I like the way they think — it suits me," 

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon is great. That and Jonathan Safran Foer’s Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - they’re on a separate bookshelf.
"They don’t understand what the other books are saying by their facial expressions, but they’re perfectly lined-up."

I love the way he sums up those two books. I have read 'The Curious Incident ... ' and I believe it is worth a read.

The bottom line is that fiction suits different people in different ways. So if you write don't think that no one will read your work, its rather like looking for the right partner in life, you just need to keep looking and you'll bump into each other eventually.

God Bless